B.C. Overwhelms Varsity Nine, 11-0; Freshmen, Jayvees Battle to 3-3 Tie

Godin Driven Off Hill In Nine-Run Seventh

For six innings yesterday afternoon, on a cold, dreary Soldiers Field, the varsity baseball team and Boston College waged a close, well-fielded duel. But in the seventh frame, Ira Godin ceased to be a mystery to the power-laden bunch of D.C. hitters that he had held to single runs in the first two innings.

In the seventh, 13 men came to the plate for the Eagles, six drawing bases on balls and four banging out singles off Godin and Herb Merser. Before Barry Turner arrived to quell the uprising, a succession of nine big B.C. runs had trooped across the plate. That made the score 11 to 0, and that's the way it remained when darkness brought a merciful end to the proceedings an inning later.

Big Don O'Brien, who held the Crimson to just nine hits in two games last season, continued his mastery, and limited the varsity nine to four scattered singles, a pair of walks, and one hit batsman.

Only Crimson batters not to be completely puzzled by O'Brien's slants were John Caulfield, who singled twice, and Walt Coulson, who banged a one-bagger and was robbed of another when Eagle first baseman Dick Boyle made a brilliant diving catch of his vicious line drive in the fourth.

This afternoon, the team will attempt to make up for yesterday's whitewashing in a game at Fort Devens.

The Harvard summary: HARVARD (0) ab  r  h  po  a  e Gannon, cf  3  0  0  1  0  0 *Lunder  1  0  0  0  0  0 Roche, lf  4  0  0  2  0  0 Mannino, ss  3  0  0  1  3  0 Coulson, 1b  3  0  1  11  0  0 Caulfield, rf  3  0  2  2  0  0 Huntington, 2b  3  0  1  3  1  0 Coppinger, 3b  2  0  0  1  3  0 Essayan, c  1  0  0  3  1  0 Crosby, c  1  0  0  0  0  0 Godin, p  1  0  0  0  0  0 Merser, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Turner, p  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  26  0  4  24  8  0

*Grounded out for Gannon in 8th. R  H  E Boston College  1  1  0  0  0  0  9  0--11  8  0 Harvard  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0--0  4  0

Double play--Mannino and Coulson. Bases on balls--off Godin 6, Merser 4. Struck out--by Godin 3. Wild pitch--Godin. Hits--off Godin 7 in 7, Merser 1 in 1/3, Turner 0 in 1 1/3.