Weatherman Dampens 'Big Red' Game's Hopes

By R. SCOT Leavitt

There probably will not be a baseball game at Soldiers Field this afternoon. If there is--a doubtful proposition, since the U.S. Weather Bureau last night predicted rainfall all day--it will be against Cornell at 3 o'clock.

The Crimson will essay a second win against four losses in the Eastern Intercollegiate League by letting Ira Godin unfurl his right arm against the Ithaca Redmen who stand right in the middle of things--having won three and lost three. Opposing Godin will be either Al Neimoth, a righthander with a 4-1 record, or Kenny Battles, whose southpaw efforts stopped Pennsylvania with a cool three-hitter on May Day.

Jayvees in Lineup

Dolph Samborshi, guide of the Crimson's diamond fortunes, will shake up his forces for the event, making liberal use of several Jayvee ballplayers who wound up their season last week. Chip Gannon may be displaced from his season-long post at center field by another footballer--Hal Moflie, by name. Moflie hit .343 for Lloyd Harper's Jayvees, while Gannon's average now amounts to .210.

In left field, Steve Howe, possessor of a .457 Jayvee average, will appear in place of light-hitting Jim Kenary. Howe knocked in 20 runs in 12 games for Harper's charges. Mort Dunn, captain of the Jayvees, will displace the much-injured Ernie Mannino at shortstop.

Crimson Favored

If comparative scores are your idea of a good time, the Crimson holds a statistical edge over the visitors. They have lost to three EIL teams that also have beaten the Crimson this year, but the Ithacans have gotten their lumps much more spectacularly. Dartmouth, Army, and Navy have whipped Cornell 14-5, 12-0, and 12-2 respectively, while the home forces have extended the same opposition to the extent of 4-2, 9-6, and 8-2.

New Manager Appointed

To insure that bats, balls, gloves, and liniment get to the proper place next year, Peter N. Toulmin '50, of Dover and Apley Court was appointed Varsity manager for the 1949 season yesterday. He will be seconded by Hubert C. Foster '49, of Westfield, New Jersey, and Leverett House.

The lineups: CORNELL  HARVARD Arrison, cf  Huntington, 2b Porter, 3b  Moffie, cf McAvoy, rf  Crosby, c Farrell, 1b  Coulson, 1b Hunt, lf  Caulfield, rf Cordes, ss  Howe, lf Weintraub, 2b  Dunn, ss Tesnow, c  Coppinger, 3b Battles, or Neimeth, p  Godin, p