Waban Hoops Doom Busy Schooler to Early Wedlock

If the folk lore of the Waban hills means anything, Richard L. Gardner 2GB will be striding up the center aisle pretty soon.

For Saturday morning at 7:15 o'clock Gardner's fiancee, Polly Auger, trundled her hoop across the Wellesley College finish line in a history-making tie for first place.

Polly's dead-heat companion was Carmen Ogden, and as Gardner and the winning girls posed for sleepy camera men, a benevoleut sun gave the colorful annual classic one of its first pleasant days in many years of hoop rolling.

Past statistics are not available on the truth of the Wellesley superstition, which claims that the winner will be the first senior to wed. Carmen, who comes from Portland, Oregon, said that her present intentions offer little hope for early espousal.

Insurrectionist Foiled

But otherwise the big derby was its usual noisy self. An insurgent from M.I.T., Peter Dayton by name, crashed into the line of march and was soon heaved into the drink by several hundred howling women in graduation garb and beanies.

An unusually large crowd rolled out of bed in time to watch the warm-up contest, wherein Holly Mann Lockhart nursed a baby carriage down the 1300 foot course in time to suare a first in the married seniors' event.

Both winners denied any velationship to a Mr. Calumet, whose own fillies also scored on Saturday.