Last of a Long Line

With the revelation that upperclassmen living in the Yard next year will be given non-resident House privileges, the House masters have at long last decided to assume their share of the College's over-crowding. It is unfortunate that the masters let this peak year slip by, when the Union was jammed as never before. Meal lines at the theoretically "freshman" enter were of magnitude that threatened to obscure the highly-important activities program, and it seemed clearly up to the Houses to take at least the exiles living in Claverly and Apley. But the Houses contented themselves with the status quo, and the Union has luckily gone this far without bursting at the seams.

There should be many benefits under the new system next year. Deflated to normal size, the Union will be able to fulfill the needs of the new class, instead of serving as a proving-ground for line-crashing tactics. Yard upperclassmen will feel more amiable towards the interval before they are placed in House quarters. And the Houses, which can easily stand the "strain" of sizable non-resident groups, should welcome the newcomers as a possible invigorating force for the far from sprightly House activity programs. As a move to distribute the excess student population more fairly, the masters' decision appears to be in the category of better later than never.