Yale and Rutgers Start Geography Expansion Plans

Yale and Rutgers have set up new geography departments, University geographers report yesterday. The action of the two colleges contrasts with Harvard's elimination of the subject as a field of concentration and the cutting down of the Geography faculty last year.

The New Haven institution has established a four-man department under Professor Stephen Jones. One associate professor, one assistant professor, and an instructor complete the faculty roster.

Three Men at Rutgers

At Rutgers, an assistant professor and an instructor have been added to the faculty and form a department under Professor C. R. Clark.

The Harvard action last March drew protests from the Student Council, the Graduate Council, and many faculty members, including Professors Kirtley F. Mather and Derwent S. Whittlesey.

At the time, a University spokesmen said that he doubted the value of geography as a College-level study.

The geographers who left the University are currently holding down higher ranking positions at Chicago and UCLA.

Edwin A. Ackerman, assistant professor here last year, spend last fall in Japan, where he aided the Army in setting up national resources planning board in the occupied country.