Wrestling Squad Hopes to Extend Unbeaten Record

By Peter B. Taub

Coach Butch Jordan and an odd assortment of varsity wrestlers entrain for Columbia at 5 p.m. this afternoon, on their way to what should be their third straight success of the season. The match is scheduled for 3 p.m. tomorrow on the University Hall mats.

Captain Dan Ray and Don Louria, who have won more dual matches between them in four years of varsity competition than any other pair of simultaneous wrestlers in Harvard history, will be singing their swan song as far as college grappling goes. Ray and Louria, the most dependable members of Jordan's band, will be graduated next month.

Ups and Downs

News about Jordan's personnel was both good and bad this week. Roger Wach strained a leg muscle, and his 136- pound slot will be filled by Bob Abboud, who saw service as a freshman 128-pounder last year. At 121, Dave Coombs will carry the Crimson banner for the first time this season. Coombs starred at that weight last winter but Joe Kozol has been operating so far this season.

Bob Claflin returns to the 175-pound position after an ankle injury. He will face Columbia captain Bob Runyon, who defeated Claflin last year and ranks second behind Frank Manchester as the Lions' number one man. Manchester will oppose dependable Dave Smith at 128.

Harvard hopes in the 145-pound division will ride with Dave Shapiro, a sophomore in his first year of wrestling. Shapiro triumphed in a jayvee match earlier this year. He replaces Buddy King, who will be unable to make the trip, and his main objective against Columbia's third best wrestler, Ed Naumann, will be to avert a pin. Jordan describes Shapiro as "the hardest working kid on the squad, except for me.