Yale Crash Blame Not Set; Harvard Flight Is Delayed

Airline Says Field Closed

United Airlines last night reported from Seattle that Boeing Field was closed down due to weather fully 15 minutes before the take-off of the ill-starred DC-3 that crashed late Sunday evening causing the deaths of 11 Yale students and three crew members.

Two earlier planes left the field at 9:37 p.m. (P.C.T.) and at 9:48 p.m. (P.C.T.). United Airlines told the Yale Daily News late last night that the field was shut within three minutes after departure of the 9:48 plane, which belongs to the United Lines.

The Yale newspaper, which telephoned Seattle, reported that the chartered DC-3 carrying 27 New Haven-bound students and three crew-members was from five to ten feet in the air when one wing dipped and touched the runway.

The plane fell, dragged its left wing, slammed into a hangar, split, and burst into flames.

Seven Released

Late reports to New Haven said six survivors are hospitalized, while seven others have been treated and released. Names are not yet available.

"Below minimum" flight conditions prevailed when the plane took off, Regional C.A.A. Administrator R. D. Bedinger charged yesterday. He said the pilot of the chartered ship had been warned twice against leaving.

Witnesses reported that the field was glazed with ice and that there was a light fog at the time of take-off.

Transcripts of the pilot's conversations with the control tower disclose, however, that the plane was "cleared for take-off," asserted officials of the air charter service in a counter-charge.

James R. Cluck, member of the law firm representing Seattle Air Charter, said a C.A.A. summary of the conversation between the tower and the plane ended with the tower's statement:

"Roger. Take off. Cleared for take-off, and we will give you your clearance when you report on top."

The plane immediately started down the runway. The time, according to Associated Press dispatches, was 10:06 p.m. (P.C.T.).

Sam Walker, chairman of the Yale Daily News, said campus reaction to the disaster was "one of extreme shock."

The dead include: Ralph B. Laird, 22, Camas, Wash.; James Leonard Bryan, Portland, Ore.; Noel L. Brown, 18, Seattle; Roger W. Young, 19, Seattle; Leonard B. Wickman, Bellevue, Wash.; David B. Haerle, Portland, Ore.; Asbjorn Reese, Seattle; Harry C. Franzheim 3rd, North Seattle; Russell H. Palmer, 27, Vancouver, Wash.; Wallace Hartley, Mercer Island, Wash.; Don Lee Garrett, Portland, Ore