Harris Sees Truman Upping Graduate Job Hunter Woes

As experts in Washington predicted last night that President Truman would ask for a doubling of college enrollment by 1960, Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics, repeated his charges that the plan would increase greatly a coming "frustration and disillusionment" for thousands of college graduate who won't be able to find the jobs they want.

With college enrollments soaring anyway, Harris said the President's program would only make much worse a misfortune which is on the way already. Harvard men will not escape, Harris commented, but their superior training will give them some advantage over graduates of most other colleges.

Harris said that the overcrowding of colleges results from too many students going to college to get high-paying jobs, instead of to get a higher education for its own sake.

In a New York Times article, Harris proposed two solutions to the problem: improved publicity on the part of colleges on the object of a college education and the adoption of President Conant's plan to take an inventory of jobs and job-seekers.

If Truman's plan is adopted, Harris predicted, there will be 1.6 million more students aspiring to the medical profession alone in 1960 than the country could possibly use.