Steel to Strike; Some Miners Return

Briefs of the Day's News

Following Russia's lead, Hungary and Poland voided their treaty of mutual aid and friendship with Yugoslavia yesterday and thus further cut the tie between the Comin form nations and Premier Marshal Tito's government.

A proposed report of the Senate-House Atomic Committee said last night that "Incredible mismanagement" charges by Senator Hickenlooper (R-Lowa) against the Atomic Energy Commission "could not be proved." The draft strongly defends the AEC's record of security of its vital secrets.

The ranks of the jobless dwindled by 333,000 in September in the second successive monthly drop in unemployment shown in the late-summer business upswing. The Census Bureau reported a decline to a total of 3,351,000 unemployed.

The B. F. Goodrich Co, and CIO United Rubber Workers signed a new contract yesterday, ending a 34-day strike for 15,000 workers in seven states. The new contract is subject to approval of the union's general executive board.

The Government finished the first quarter of the new fiscal year today about $1,400,000,000 in the red--and with prospects strong for going deeper into the hole. Guesses on the budget deficit by the end of fiscal 1950 next June 30 ranged from $3,000,000,000 by an administration expert to $7,000,000,000 by Senator Harry Byrd (D.Va.).

Mao Tze-Tung, a peasant's on turned revolutionary, yesterday was named head of the new Chinese communist government which will bid soon for international recognition. The widow of Sum Yat-Sen was also named for a post.