Boston Beckons Visitors with Burlesque, Cuisines, Movies, Cabarets, and Football

By "g." Ripzky-korastoff

From the pizza special at the old Venice right down through the last act at the Old Howard, Boston offers the weekend visitor a thousand divertisments most of which cannot be found in, say, Hanover, N. H.

There are some obvious sources of merry-making available in the envirous of this great metropolis. We cannot, however, take the space to list all the package stores within a ten-mile radius. Instead, this article is intended to touch upon some of the entertainment highlights which you could just as easily discover by scanning the pages of any Boston daily.

First of all, there is the all-night movie in Scollay Square. The features change too rapidly to keep track of. We've been informed, however, that this week's show includes four of Tom Mix's very best. Absolutely the place to go if you're rather not come home and face your roommates.

While you are down around the square area you might drop in at the Old Howard (burlesque) or the Casino (foolthy acts). Don't buy the Nestle bars or the censored picture from Esquire unless you intend to sue for mis-representation.

Hanover

As you wend your way down Hanover street, passing peanut vendors and stumping missionaries, you'll notice something different in the air. It's apt to be the smell (ugh) coming from a dozen cheap bars, or the odor (delicious) issuing from the kitchen of the Old Venice Pizzeria. Few things about Hanover street are calculated to make the Dartmouth fugitive nostalgic. The Old Venice does it bit with cheese, tomatoes, clanti, and low prices.

Heading in to town via Tremont street, unlimited vistas of amusement enfold before the evening stroller. The Beacon Hill Theater, for instance, is featuring Sir Codic Hardwicke in Nicholas Nickleby and Deborah Kerr in Black Narcissus, an all-British twin bill. A turn to the left will put you on Washington Street, Boston's Broadway and home of the bigge movies. They include:

"Easy Living" at the Keith Memorial, the story of pro football in which Vic Mature kicks around Liz Scott; "Jolson Sings Again" at the Low's Orpheum, Larry Parks as He; "Come to the Stable" at Loew's Publix, Celeste Holm and Loretta Young as Sisters; "Pinky" at the Astor, Jeanno Crain portrays a light-skinned colored nurse; "Yes Sir, That's My Baby" at the RKO Boston, Donald O'Connor proves he's not my boy; "Savage Splendor" at the Pilgrim, exotic Africa in garish technicolor. Walt Disney's "Ichabed and Mr. Toad" is back up on Tremant Street near the Park Street subway station.

More Movies

Fortunately for most of the weekend invaders, "I Was a Male War Bride" has moved from the Metropolitan. This citadel of fine films now presents "Task Force," starring Gary Cooper," a sweeping cavalcade that sweeps (sic) the world's oceans to bring you the rich, human story of the men who stood by what they believed in--AND THE WOMEN WHO STOOD BESIDE THEIR MEN." Includes secret Navy combat films if that's your idea of fun.