NSA, Outing Club Shindigs Ignite Indian Festivities

Although Dartmouth followers are prone to create their own entertainment, two local organizations have gone to the trouble nevertheless to sponsor dances tonight by way of ushering in the Big Green weekend.

At the Cambridge Armory, situated near M.I.T., a boy and a girl will be given away free when the Boston Area National Student Association stages its Dartmouth weekend intercollegiate dance from 8 p. m. to midnight.

The two students will be blind dates for the fortunate boy and girl who wind up with them. And as if this were not enough, the prize also includes all expenses paid plus tickets to tomorrow's game.

Gloria Backe, a drama student at Emerson College, is one of the blind dates to be rafiled off at the dance.

Cosmopolitan Atmosphere

Girls from Boston University, Simmons, Regis, and Emerson will attend the dance. Most of the students who will be there, including the girls, are expected to be stag, since the NSA committee in charge of the affair has planned it as "a chance for everyone to get acquainted."

The Harvardians will supply music for dancing.

Meanwhile, in the Louis XIV ballroom of the Hotel Somerset the Harvard Outing Club will put on a Harvard Square Dance. Members of the Outing Club will get the festivities under way with a demonstration of two square dance sets. After that they will mingle among the uninitiated to assist neophyte square dancers.

For the less energetic folk, Ruby Newman will supply ballroom music. The whole thing will be very informal and the publicity release claims anything from broomstick skirts to blue jeans will be acceptable.

The caller will be Bill Dunkle, who is bringing with him his Promenaders. These people will run through several authentic square dances. The high point of the entertainment will be the first performance this season of the Krokedilloes, College singing outfit, who will later lead everybody in group singing. A gals gift showering balloon dance will really top off the evening, with many valuable souvenirs awaiting lucky dancers.

The Esquire, opposite Symphony Hall, offers Laurence Oliver's fine production, "Henry V" at special student rates. The Majestic, on Tremont Street just below the Common, is featuring Somerset Maugham's Quartet. Now in its sixth week, the film improves with age.

Legits

Saturday night wraps up the Boston showing of Maxwell Anderson's "Anne of the Thousand Days," starring Rox Harrison and Joyce Redman at the Shubort. "I Know My Love" continues at the Plymouth with the Lunts. Harvard Square's local thespians have imported Luise Rainer this week to spice up their production of Chekov's "The Sea Gull" at the Brattle Theater Company next to the post office. "Regina" winds up its Boston stay on Saturday also, as the Colonial sends this adaption of Lillian Hellman's "The Little Foxes" on to new territories.

Most people eat. There are, therefore, a lot of eating places in the Boston and Cambridge area. The Ararat, as Armenian vittles bazaar at 71 Broadway, is tasty--and cheap, a bit out of the ordinary. Simeone's, 21 Brookline Street--1 block from Central Square--offers Italian-American cuisine for those who don't want to hike it all the way to Boston. You can't beat the Viking at 442 Stuart Street for variety. A heaping smorgasbord is within easy striking distance of most tables. Jake Wirth's on Stuart Street featrues the best local Gorman beer and food, while the Cafe de Paris at 165 Mass. Ave in Boston flaunts French cooking and wine to match.

Beer and Chopsticks

Cronin's is Cronin's and Clarke's Sea Grill is uncrowded. You should know where both are located. If you're a visitor, ask any Harvard student. Almost any Chinese restaurant downtown in Chinatown can fix you up with chopsticks and an authentic menu. The food is good too.

Other amusement facilities include parking areas alongside the Charles River in the direction of Watertown, an ice-skating rink also in the direction of Watertown, television in some of the House Common Rooms, and dances at the Union, Winthrop, Adams, and Levett.

The Savoy, Mass. Ave. at Columbus Ave., offers liquor and jazz. Localitte Bob Wilber leads a group of musicians who are almost all better than he. Jimmy Archey is tops on the trombone.

Incidentals: "Little Black Sambo" tomorrow afternoon at the N. E. Mutual Hall by the Tributary Children's Theater, the Latin Quarter night club at 46 Winchester Street, the Harvard-Dartmouth game, Soldiers Field Road, tomorrow afternoon.