Crimson Finishes Last, Tech Wins UBC Fall Regatta

Harvard's "varsity" crew placed third in a field of three in the first annual Union Boat Club fall regatta yesterday morning. M.I.T.'s varsity won in 3:49 over the three-quarter mile course, nosing out the Union Boat Club by less than a deck length, while the Crimson's entry finished two lengths back.

The whole affair was highly informal, with Tech the only boat taking life seriously. As far as the other two crews went, it was little more than old home week, for the Union Boat Club's shell was filled with recent Crimson alumnae, including such prominent oars as Frank Strong, Don Felt, and Dick Emmet.

Only two members of last year's varsity showed up to represent the Crimson, and since training is not required of Harvard crews in the fall, they put on a lethargic show. After the first 200 yards they settled to an easy beat of 26, and rapidly faded from contention.

Tech and the U.B.C. dropped to 28 after their opening sprints and battled it out at that pace all the way up the middle, with the Engineers holding a slight edge.

Alumnus Lane Barton pushed the pace up to 36 for the final sprint, and almost succeeded in pulling back Tech, but his boat lacked the drive to overtake them before reaching the finish line at Long-fellow Bridge.

The Boatings--

Harvard: Rouner, stroke; Matthewson, 7; Anderson, 6; Carter, 5; Bohlen, 4; Rimmer, 3; Asp, 2; Tomic, bow; Leavitt, cox.