1200 Shout and Parade to Welcome Homecoming; Otherwise Few Cavort

Over 1200 students stormed through Cambridge streets early last night to greet the varsity's homecoming in a fast 35-minute football rally prefacing the team's home opener.

Dunster House underwent a 15-minute unexplained blackout when light power failed, an impromptu hand paraded in Lowell House courtyard, and outside shrinking was noticeable on Mt. Auburn Street.

But there wasn't any riot at Jim Cronin's, and most students were content to take their evening's entertainment with the rally and let it go at that.

Crowd Hears Valpey

Forming behind a depleted band and a group of local citizens at 7:15 p.m. a clock-long line of march snaked around the usual rally route and up to the Indoor Athletic Building to hear speeches by Coach Art Valpey and Captain Howie Houston and watch traditional routines performed by the Band and Cheerleaders.

In a talk punctuated by firecrackers, Valpey implored students for support. "Gentlemen of Harvard," he said, "it will be tough if you treat the team lightly. And if you should sit and criticize during the week, it will be awfully tough. We're in a tough league, and we need cheers."

"Those on our team not in wheelchairs will give every bit as much tomorrow as they did last week," Valpey went on. "I want an upset."

Houston, who followed Valpey and received the biggest cheer of the evening, told the crowd, "It's great to be back in Cambridge. I think we'll do better if you'll stick by us.