FCC Probe of College Stations May Force Radio Network to Close Down

WHRB may have to fold up if an anticipated Federal Communications Commission ruling on college stations is passed, the Radio Network revealed this weekend.

Early this fall letters were sent to college stations all over the country, stating that the FCC would like to know more about the possibility of small, unlicensed stations interfering with the reception of larger networks.

WHRB president Bradford S. Doane '50 has received letters from WHDH, WBZ, and WEEI saying that these stations had investigated the College station and had found no possibility for interference. Copies of these letters have been sent to Washington, where hearings on the problems are due to start soon.

The Network has hired a Washington lawyer, Harry Warner, to handle its case.

In a letter to Doane three days ago, Warner reported that "the big hurdle is to convince the Commission that college radio should be continued and that it serves a useful public purpose."

The only alternative the FCC could offer to cutting down the Network's power output would be to convert completely to an FM educational-broadcast band, Doane said.