Freshman's Plane Overdue; Search Parties Scour N.E.

John M. Moses '53, of Thayer Hall, was reported long overdue early this morning on his private plane flight from Bridgeport, Conn. to Boston. All night searching parties in both Sunapee N.H., and Buzzards Bay, Mass., were hunting for planes which had reportedly crashed in each area, but at 3 a.m. neither place reported any success.

Moses, who was returning from the Yale game, has owned a war surplus North American AT-6 trainer for a year and a half. He took off at Bridgeport at 4:45 p.m. yesterday and was due at Logan Airport at 5:40 p.m. Civil Aeronautics Administration officials reported.

The CAA doubted that the Buzzards Bay crash involved Moses, because it had occurred at about 4:50 p.m. But the Sunapee crash came at about 6 p.m., late enough for Moses to have arrived in the area, had he strayed off his course.

Sunapce residents said early this morning that a plane flying up from the direction of Newport. N.H., had crashed near the top of Bald Mountain. They described the sound of the engine as more like a commercial plane than a light plane. This description might tally with Moses 'plane, the CAA said.

Searchers at Sunapee hoped to reach the top of the mountain by 5:30 a.m., and CAA and Newport Airport airplanes were planning to join the search at dawn.

At Harvard last night, Moses' roommate, Gaston H. Palacious '53 said that he had accompanied Moses to Yale in the plane but had returned immediately after the game by train. Palacious said Moses' plane was equipped with complete radio instruments and safety equipment, including a parachute.