Grad Council Probes Parietal Rules

Graduate Student Council members are now looking into the parictal rule situation, President Richard E. Kronauer 3G, announced yesterday.

The investigation is necessitated, Kronauer explained, by the increased graduate school facilities which will come with completion of the Graduate Center, now rising at Jarvis Court. The Council is surveying parietal rules in relation to dining halls, common rooms, and dormitories.

Present grad school rules contain five provisions, the first four dealing mainly with the maintenance of "order and decorum" in the dormitories. It is the fifth section, concerning entertainment privileges, which is now under Council scrutiny.

Under the present arrangement, women are always allowed in student rooms from 1 to 10 p.m. providing they are escorted at all times and written permission is obtained from the proctor.

Rules for female guests after 10 p.m. are more strict and require written permission which must also be approved by the Secretary of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or the vice dean.

These regulations are more lenient when the entertaining group is an authorized university organization; in this case wives and relatives of the club members are allowed at the meetings until midnight.

The Council's investigation is divided into two separate surveys. Personal interviews with members of the graduate schools are being conducted in order to sample student opinion of the present regulations. Kronauer stated last night that he believed the personal poll was superior to any written questionnaire because constructive criticism would "receive more attention if the students were contacted personally."

The second phase of the probe includes an investigation of the standing rules in other graduate schools.

Kronaur wouldn't predict the exact end of the investigation, but he said it would come "sometime after the holidays."