Group Shifts Stand, Votes Faith in Lally

Social Affairs Body Reverses Earlier 'Disagreement,' Gives Chairman Confidence Vote

By John R.W. Smail

The College Social Affairs Committee last night reversed Thursday's five to four vote of no confidence in Chairman John K. Lally '49, by giving him a "nearly unanimous" vote of confidence. Lally with drew his proffered resignation and will remain in office through the spring term.

The Committee offered no explanation of its change of mind, but insisted that its earlier procedure had not been an impeachment or removal, but a vote of no confidence rising out of disagreement on certain matters of policy.

Thursday Night

After the vote of no confidence Thursday, however, Lally turned over the chair to Secretary Robert L. Matters '50, who then entertained nominations for the chairmanship.

Even though the Committee had not formally accepted his offer of resignation, these facts seemed to show that on Thursday Lally was no longer chairman. With Lally's status in doubt, the group adjourned for the night.

(There is no provision in the constitution of the Social Affairs Committee for impeachment or removal proceedings.)

Friday Night

The Social Affairs Committee reconvened last night in a meeting which was declared off the record, and at the close of the meeting, issued a statement that Lally had been given a vote of confidence and would continue in office as chairman.

Indications last night were that the Student council, under whose jurisdiction the committee falls, would investigate the situation.