Two Comments on Indonesia

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

About Mr. Gleason's editorial of February 7, I cannot agree in any part with the stand of the U.N., the "Asiatic League," nor the U. S. as regards the Indonesia question. Though I believe that justice must be accorded the natives, Dutch interests should remain paramount. Because of Indonesia's importance to Netherland economy, an economy near bankruptcy because of the war, it behooves the U. S., for the sake of the E.R.P., to have Dutch interests remain predominant. The means "laissez-faire." The use of the U.N. as suggested by Senator Brewster to coerce the Netherlands into an impossible settlement with the Republican "de facto" government seems to this reader analogous to the U.N.'s condonation of U. S. support to the Greek government, and to the diplomatic support accorded the Jews in Palestine by the U. S. It looks very much to me as if certain consolidated interests are using the good offices of the U.N. to further their own doubtful designs. Again I urge "laissez-faire." John Henselman '52