Green Speed Whips Sextet, 7-2, at Arena

Indians' Second Period Spurt Spoils Crimson's 2-0 Lead; Fight Breaks Out at Finale

By Donald Carswell

Harvard, which up to last night had been a third period hockey team, shot its bolt in the first twenty seven minutes against Dartmouth and then never quite caught up to the fleet Indians.

Three goals in less than thirty seconds, at 7:09, 7:15, and 7:30 of the second period, broke the Crimson's heart and paved the way for Dartmouth's 7 to 2 win at the Arena last night. The Green thereby won the Pontagonal League title and the right to meet the University of Montreal for the Alexis Thompson trophy, emblematic of North-American hockey supremacy.

Faster All the Way

It was all a matter of speed. Dartmouth skated faster, passed better, and shot harder. The varsity couldn't check back as fast as the Indians lines could attack, and four goals were scored by Dartmouth on clear unhampered shots from close up--on these shots, Crimson goalie Bill Yetman never had a chance.

Not that the Crimson didn't try. Yetman played his best game of the season in the goal. The three lines, and especially the second line, dogged the Rileys all night and limited them to but three goals.

But after 12:51 of the first period Harvard couldn't score. They couldn't score because of Dick Desmond's goal play, and because insane defensemen like Mike Thayer threw themselves down on the ice every time they saw a shot coming. No team can score with a solid wall of bodies in front of the cage.

In the closing minutes, two fights broke out, one a minor scuffle between Joe Kittredge and Cliff Harrison, the other a pitched battle between Bill Garrity and Indians Bill Riley, Dick Desmond, and Red Bailey. Garrity and his old Belmont High teammate Riley were both given match misconduct penalties.

Myles Huntington, who suffered a broken nose Saturday at New Haven, received a possible fractured collarbone in the third period.

First Period--Scoring: Abbot (H) (Huntington) 10:30; Preston (H) 12:51; Oss (D) 14:11, Penalties: Harrison, Garrity, Carman, Thayer, Crowley.

Second Period--Scoring: Oss (D) 7:09; J. Riley (D) (W. Riley) 7:15; W. Riley (D) (Harrison) 7:30; Crowley (D) (Oss) 19:09. Penalties: A. Key, Brower, Oss.

Third Period--Scoring: W. Riley (D) 8:15; Oss (D) (Crowley) 18:55. Penalties: Bailey, Oss, Kerivan, Harrison, Kittredge, Garrity, W. Riley