Norris Wins Eastern League 1500-Meter Freestyle Crown

Ted Norris won the 1500-meter freestyle in the opening event of the ninth annual Easter "Intercollegiate swimming championship at Princeton last night while Yale's Emil Estoclet and John Moore finished second and third to put the Blue ahead 7 to 5 after the first day of competition.

Cadet Jack Craigla picked up forth place, well behind the leaders, to edge our Syracuse captain Paul McCabe.

Norris had little trouble pulling away from the Eli distancemen, increasing his lead from five feet after 40 laps to six after 50 and 15 after 60 lengths in the 65 1/2 lap grind in the new Princeton pool. His time was 19:40.6, nearly seven seconds ahead of Estoclet.

Today's schedule has Win Briggs and Gorden Weir competing in the morning in the one meter diving preliminaries. Coach Hal Ulen will probably send Joe Fox, Norm Watkens, Shep Brown, and Bob MacVickar into the 50-yard freestyle heats, also in the morning. The semifinals will come off tonight.

Heavy Afternoon Slate

Semi-final races will be held this afternoon in the 150-yard backstroke, with Tom Wood and Joe Steinhart swimming for the Crimson; in the 220-yard freestyle, with Bob Berke, Jerry German, and Mort Hull probable starters; in the 200-yard breaststroke, with Chuck Hoolzer and Larry Ward definitely entered; and in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Ulen's relay team will consist of Norm Watkins, Bob Berke, Shep Brown, and Jeo Fox. Finals in all four events will be held tonight.

Three-meter diving, the 440-yard freestyle, and 50-yard freestyle finals, and 300-yard medley relay competition remain for tomorrow.