Plan for Year Abroad to Be Investigated

Faculty Committee May Permit Juniors to Study in Europe; Would Start Next Fall Term

The question of a junior year abroad will come up before the Faculty Committee on Educational Policy within a month, Dean Bender said last night. If passed, it will probably go into effect next fall.

Under the plan, students would get Harvard credit for a year of study in Europe or Asia. Francis M. Rogers, associate professor of Romance Languages, is stumping for the measure at faculty meetings, and last week it get the approval of the Student Council.

Faculty Votes

The Committee on Educational Policy will make its recommendations to the full faculty, which will have the final say in the matter. The faculty usually approves decisions of the CEP, which has the relative powers of a Congressional committee.

The University has never yet associated itself with a foreign-study program, except at the Yenching Institute in China. A handful of College students used to study there before the war.

The present plan would also be on a small scale, Rogers has said. Screening tests would choose students for the program, and a strict eye would be kept on the standards of the work being done.