HTW Plans 'The Tempest,' Turns Professional Next Fall

The Harvard Theater Workshop will give Shakespeare's "The Tempest" as its last production using the present personnel in the Brattle Hall Theater beginning May 4. Next fall the group will open in a series of repertory productions on a full professional basis.

Readings for "The Tempest" will begin in the Phillips Brooks House chapel from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m. and from 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. today. All interested persons are asked to try out at this time for both principal and minor parts. Casting is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

Marre to Direct

Albert Marre, who directed "Henry IV," and who played Thersites in last season's "Troilus and Cressida" will direct this production. The new costumes will be designed by Richard Baldridge, who is now teaching at the University of Iowa.

The complete score to this play by Henry Purcell will be performed by a string orchestra under the direction of Tom Phillips '47.

The Workshop unanimously voted to present "The Tempest" at a general meeting held on Friday. Webster's "The White Devil" and Shakespeare's "Measure For Measure" were the other serious contenders for production.

Jerry Kilty '50, Workshop president, has announced the possibility that graduating members of the HTW will coach those of the company remaining in college next year.