Golf Team Drops Four; Rain, Wind Jinx Spring Trip

The golf team returned from its four game southern tour yesterday with nothing to show but a healthy tan and not much of that.

The squad met poor weather most of the way and dropped every game by top heavy scores. Always playing in pouring rain or heavy wind, they lost to North Carolina 27 to 0, Virginia Tech 22 1/2 to 4 1/2, Virginia 5 to 2, and Georgetown 5 to 2.

At Chapel Hill, in drenching rain, Harvard's best man scored a 76 while North Carolina's worst man made a 75. Their best player finished the 18 holes with a 70.

Strong Wind

Jack Denton, Crawford Hubbell, and Bill Rickenbacker picked up the Crimson's 4 1/2 points in the loss to Virginia Tech, played in a strong wind. Denton and Rickenbacker both scored 79.

The Virginia game started sunny, but the jinx brought rain before it ended. Bob Matson and Herb Mee scored for the varsity, Mee winning on a 15-foot putt on the twenty-first hole. Georgetown was another windy match, with Matson and Hubbell scoring the Crimson's points.

The southern teams, which have been practicing for over a month, have always been a tough spot on the varsity schedule. This Wednesday, with some extra practice of its own, the team will meet Clark University at home.