Final Graduation Plans Announced

Final plans for Graduation Week and Commencement of the Class of 1949. were announced last night by Lynn W. Eley '49, chairman of the '49 Class Day Committee.

Running from June 19 to June 23, the schedule of senior activities will follow traditional lines from the Sunday baccalaureate service to Commencement exercises on the following Thursday, with a few departures.

"Class Night," arranged for Tuesday night, June 21, in Memorial Hall, is a new feature in Graduation Week. Eley described this project as "somewhat like the Freshman Smokers," and said that entertainment will come "as much as possible" from members of the Class.

Another innovation will be a "name" band, not yet decided upon, instead of a local orchestra, to play for the formal dance on Monday, June 20. The final new wrinkle in the proceedings will take place on the afternoon of Tuesday, June 21, when the Class will sit together to watch there Harvard-Yale-Cambridge-Oxford track meet.

Except for these additions, Eley said that the week's program would run according to long-established practice. The schedule begins Sunday, June 19, with the baccalaureate service in Memorial Church at 3:30 p.m., at which President Conant will deliver an address to the Class.

On Monday, June 20, the traditional Senior Spread will begin at 10 p.m. and run until 3 a.m., with time out for a midnight buffet. Ticketed for there Eliot House Courtyard, the dance will be moved to the Kirkland House Common Room in case of rain.

Class Day Exercise, during which the Class Orator, Ivy Orator, and Chorister will entertain, start in the afternoon of Tuesday, June 21, in the Yard's Tercentenary Theater. Also on the program will be a speaker from outside the Class, not yet selected, and Dean Bender.

At 4:30 p.m., the Class will attend the International track meet, and at 8 p.m., Class Night activities begin in Memorial Hall. On Wednesday, June 22, the Class will parade with alumni classes to Soldiers Field for the Harvard-Yale baseball game, and, after an informal supper in Eliot House, will hear the Band-Glee Club concert in the Yard. The day's program winds up with an informal dance in Eliot House for Class members and all alumni present for reunions.

There will be chapel services for the Class at 9 a.m. Thursday, June 23, in Memorial Church, followed by formation for the customary procession headed by the oldest living alumnus, prior to the actual beginning of Commencement exercises.

House Masters Issue Degrees

At noon, House masters will pass out degrees to the Class during House luncheons, and in the afternoon recipients of honorary degrees will make addresses during alumni exercises.

Between the end of final exams and the beginning of graduation activities, Class officials plan to arrange a series of events in an effort to keep the Class interested in staying for the June 19-23 program. Already scheduled tentatively for June 15 is an outing during the afternoon to the North Shore. Daniel B. Ray Second Marshal of the Class, said last night that more activities for the post exam period would be announced at a later date.