Freshman Concentration Guide

Fine Arts. . .

Small classes, an exceptionally capable faculty, and the top university art museum in the country are the principal lures for concentration in the Fine Arts.

Professor Conant in architecture, Deknatel in Modern art, Opdyke in European art, Rosenberg in Baroque and graphic art, and Warner in Oriental art all have wide reputations. Carpenter, who handles theory and practice, is highly praised by his students.

In addition to its immense resources and who representation, the Fogg Museum houses the Department and its courses. It provides therefore, a meeting place for concentrators and faculty and a chance for personal association which exists in few other fields.

Features Varied Selection

Concentrators are required to take six courses in the Department, but usually two of these may be drawn from the vague category, "Related Fields."

Ordinarily, the concentrator's program include Fine Arts 11a and 11b, the survey from Ancient to Modern Art, and Fine Arts 12, Theory of Drawing and Fatsting and Principles of Design. He must also take at least two of the numerous courses devoted to historical periods.

All honors candidates receive tutorial and write a thesis, but there is no examination in addition to a departmental required of all concentrators.

No "Art Classes"

The Department emphasizes both appreciation of the intrinsic value of art and an understanding of its historical importance. It does not specialize in turning out professional artists, and concentrators will tell you that it has a good way of studying history.

The field is a broad one, and if you have talented eyes and skillful hands, you will not find it difficult to develop a visual appreciation of many things from many cultures