General Optimism Shrouds '52 Crew Opener

Princeton, MIT Provide Competition Today; 150-Pounders' Hopes Rest on Pluck Alone

At Newell Boat House, where crews are manufactured, optimism pervades. Everyone you talk to seems to be happy about the development of the freshman crew. They're all ready to bet their bursar's card that the yearling oarsmen will leave Princeton and MIT, whom they race this afternoon, lengths behind them.

Among the coaches the confidence is more restrained. Freshman mentor Harvey Love said, "It's the best crew we've had in some time and they're coming along well," but he hastens to point out that he knows little about his opposition, who may very well also be in good shape. Of course pessimism is to the coaching profession as pigeons are to the Yard.

The impressive time trial record of the '52 rowers this week has done more than anything else to create the spirit of exuberance at Newell.

Love has been drilling his three boats in the refinements of racing this past week. Much of the emphasis has been on starts. Crews start with a half slide and then, immediately launch into a high stroke. All this takes practice--especially for freshmen.

Little Spies

From what little spies along the Charles have been able to see, MIT seems to have a more than adequate boat. No information appears to be extant about Princeton but it is reasonable to assume that the Orange has gotten in more miles on the water because it works in a warmer climate.

Today's race will be a confusing one to watch. Two of the shells, the Crimson's and MIT's, that will start at the Charles Street Bridge (the subway bridge) have the same colors, grey and red. All three crews will wear similar jerseys. Harvard will row in white T-shirts with crimson numerals on them and MIT and Princeton will have orange numerals on their T-shirts. But that's all right, the Crimson Key intends to broadcast the race, which will end by the MIT boat house near the Cottage Farm Bridge, through londspeakers posted along the banks of the racing basis.

Lineup is Stagnant

No changes are at present in the offing in the freshmen's starting lineup. Louis McCagg is at stroke, George Gifford at number seven oar, Jim Slocum at six, Steve Hedberg at five, Clem Despard at four, Bill Bliss at three, Jack Avis at two, and Bill Engstrom in the bow. Warren Clark will steer, yell stroke, and generally direct activities from the coxswain's post.

Bert Haines, who coaches the 150 division, has almost no experienced talent to work with this year in his crop of freshmen. Not much more than spirit will be riding in the '52 150 shell this afternoon. Last year, Haines was blessed with a top notch freshman crew. Six members of it now row in the varsity lightweight craft.