League-Leading Nine Tops Brown

Godin Strikes Out 12; Crimson Wins. 8-3, for Second EIBL Victory

By Peter B. Taub

After Harvard's 8 to 3 victory over Brown here Saturday, someone remarked. "Well, we're winning the right ones." And this was another "right" one, for it firmly entrenched Stuffy McInnis nine in fist place, temporarily at least, in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League.

Ira Godin bore down after the first inning, struck out 12 Bruin batters, and registered Harvard's second straight League success. The visitors took a 1 to 0 lead in the first inning on two walks, as outfield fly, and a double steal.

Two Brown infield errors, a walk, a sacrifice, a long fly, and a single by Walt Coulson added up to three runs in the Crimson half of the same inning. Then both teams settled down, and the game formed into a light duel until the eighth.

Crimson Rallies Twice

Brown tied the score in the fifth on two singles, a walk, and a heave into their field by Cliff Crosby. But again Harvard struck back in the latter half of the inning. Harry Cavanaugh singled, advanced on Godin's sacrifice, and scored on a double by John Caulfield. Caulfield was thrown out trying to stretch his hit to a triple.

Harvard cracked the game open in the eighth. Bruin pitcher Red McClub loaded the bases by hitting Caulfield walking Crosby, and intentionally walking Hal Moffie. Another walk (to Herb Neal) forced in one run and two more crossed on Ernie Mannino's third hit of the game. The game was called when Harvard had men on first and third with one out. The seventh and eighth innings were played in a light rain.

The box score: HARVARD (8)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Dunn, ss  4  1  0  1  3  0 Caulfield, lf  2  1  1  1  0  0 Crosby, c  1  2  0  12  1  1 Coulson, lb  2  1  1  7  0  0 Moffie, cf  2  1  0  1  0  0 Neil, rf  3  0  0  0  0  0 Mannino, 3b  4  1  3  0  1  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  3  1  1  2  4  0 Godin, p  2  0  0  0  0  0   ---  ---  ---  --  --  -- Totals  23  8  6  24  9  1