Freshman Rally Falls Short; Holy Cross Nine Wins, 10-9

Holy Cross handed the '52 baseball team its second defeat in as many days yesterday afternoon by a score of 10 to 9, as a Crimson rally in the eighth and last inning failed to bring the yardlings back into game. Captain Jack Donelan pitched the full game.

Win Carduff was outstanding both at the plate and at his second base position. His eighth inning triple knocked in the eight and ninth Crimson runs, and he missed a steal of home with the tying run by less than a foot a few seconds later.

Donelan was touched for 14 hits, including two triples, in losing his first game of the season. He struck out eight, but three of the four men he walked crossed the plate and all four Yardling errors contributed to Crusader scoring.

Whiffs the Side

After the freshmen had scored three runs on one hit in the bottom of the first frame, Holy Cross hurler Cadrin baffled John Connolly, Charlie Cabot, and Billy Goddman in succession for the first three of his ten strikeouts.

In the third inning, the Yardlings scored twice on singles by Carduff and Bobby Thompson, a walk, and Purple error. Hickey was hit by a pitch to become the only Crimson base runner in the fourth and fifth stanzas.

Thompson scored the sixth Crimson run in the home half of the sixth with a triple, his second hit, and a wild pitch, but the Purple had already piled up eight tallies and added single runs in the seventh and eighth.

The Summary: HARVARD FRESHMEN (9) ab  r  h  po  a  e Carduff, 2b  4  2  2  3  1  1 Hickey, 3b  4  1  0  1  1  2 Akillian, cf  3  2  1  4  0  0 Donelan, p  3  0  0  0  2  0 Wise, 1b  2  0  0  4  0  0 Switzer, 1b  1  0  0  1  0  0 Thompson, rf  3  2  2  1  0  0 Connolly, lf  2  0  0  0  0  0 Harris  1  0  0  0  0  0 Robinson, lf  1  1  1  0  0  0 Cabot, ss  2  0  0  1  4  1 Cook  1  1  1  0  0  0 Goddman, c  3  0  0  9  0  0 Morrison  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  31  9  7  24  8  4