Smith Strikes Back

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I read in the April 25th edition of the CRIMSON of the lamentable case of the unfortunate student named Smith. His troubles were accurately described.

In the April 27th issue I read a letter to the editor written by one Lowell Sachnoff '52. He stated that he occupied Bed 8 in Ward 3, and that the writer of the first article, Paul W. Mandel, occupied Bed 10. It is commendable that writer Sachnoff remembers even that he was there, his stay was so short.

I wish to correct Sachnoff's deplorable inaccuracies. He occupied Bed 12 and Madel Bed 9. I could give the periodic temperatures and diagnosis of both patients, but these facts are irrelevant.

Both Mandel and the unfortunate Smith slept heavily throughout each day of their stay; the reason being that Smith had acquired an inexhaustible supply of Seconds--Medication for sleep--and issued them at irregular intervals to the bored Mandel, Smith having become addicted weeks before. The lack of sleep and gripes of such patients as Sachnoff motivated those cunning activities.

These facts come easily to my mind only because I am that patient called Smith. May God forbid the continued absence of Bacchus and Morpheus at the "House of Little Gray Slippers." Hugh M. Smith '50