They're Off With Hopps and A Holler at Waban Downs

By Burton S. Glinn

Some fanciers of the thoroughbred fresh prefer the Derby (or the Darby, depending on your headsize). Others go for the Preakness. But to that elite Cambridge coterie of followers of those highstrung animals all other races fade into obscurity at the mere mention of the Wellesley Hoop Race.

That is why before this morning's dawn, much before the guys and dolls, who, will eventually head for Suffolk Downs this afternoon, are even awake, a small band of the faithful will head out on the Wellesley-Newton line to witness the Waban Futility, a two furlong free for all for maritally minded maidens.

The purse, one male added, has been attractive enough to lure a field of 15 to the starting gate. Only the weather man can stand in the way of this morning's classic, for the charge down the Wellesley hills is never run in the rain.

Tradition has it that the first filly to boot a winner home this morning will wear the winner's wreath in the biggest rat race of them all-a wedding band--before any other member of her class. If she already has the services of a legally acquired stud, the story goes, she will be the first to foal.

The CRIMSON clockers have ben at the track daily this past week to check the times of the starters. The field as a whole shows good conformation, especially around the fetlocks. The track is fast and there is no telling what is liable to happen. One veteran fan commented, "With the form I have seem around here this week I would hate to have to make a choice."

Mildred McAfee Horton, the track steward, uttered a warning to any male spectators who might misconstrue the purpose of the race. "This is not," said the polite Wellesleyite, "a claiming race."