Bill Rickenbacker Sleeps During NE Golf Individuals

Western Union Company probably prevented Bill Rickenbacker from winning the New England student golf championship Saturday morning.

Rickenbacker captain of the varsity golf team, slept through the first round of the 16-man individual championships after a telegraph operator had allegedly failed to wake him at 7 a.m. Saturday. Late Friday night, he said, he had asked Western Union to phone him in the morning, in accordance with the Company's regular awakening service.

Son of the World War I flying ace, Rickenbacker had scored a 71 in N.E. Intercollegiate team play on Friday, to tie for low man among 164 entrants. He was the only Harvard man low enough to make the individuals Saturday and Sunday, and stood a good chance of winning.

Today the varsity plays its last match of the season, against Williams at the Dedham Country Club at 2 p.m. Williams has played only one of Harvard's opponents, Bowdoin, and beat the Maine team by the same 7-to-0 score that the Crimson beat it by. In the weekend's Intercollegiates, the Ephmen scored two strokes better than the varsity.