Crimson Errors Assist Dartmouth to 5-2 Win

Nine Fades from EIBL Race; Miscues Result In Five Unearned Runs

The Harvard infield made four errors at Hanover Saturday which virtually dropped the team out of EIBL contention. The misplays gave Dartmouth a 5 to 2 victory on Memorial Field before 2,500 Green Key celebrants.

All the Indian runs were unearned and came after Harvard had jumped on Bob Amirault for two runs in the first inning. Mort Dunn lashed Amirault's first pitch into centerfield for a single. He went to second on a sacrifice by Ed Foynes, who replaced John Caulfield in left, and Foynes was safe on an error by third baseman Dick Desmond.

Tragic Pops

Cliff Crosby popped out to Amirault but Walt Coulson drove Dunn home with a single, and Foynes scored on a base hit by Hal Moffle. Coulson was thrown out at the plate, but Ernie Mannino walked to fill the bases. Tom Cavanaugh then fanned to end the inning and with the bases loaded again in the second, Cavanaugh popped out to the shortstop.

Dartmouth took the lead in the first when Ray Lindquist got on through Dunn's error, Ed McNeil was hit by Godin, and Desmond singled. McNeil, who had gone to second on the single, went to third on a hit by Joe Dey and stole home. In trying to hurry his pitch to the plate, Godin uncorked a wild pitch which enabled Desmond to score.

Error and Wild Throw

In the sixth, Hank Mueller opened with a single, went to second on a hit by Ray Matthews, took third on Godin's error, and stole home. Mueller tripled in the eighth and scored on an overthrow of third by Charlie Lucas.

Amirault, like Godin, got off to a shaky start but he got better support, and nine of the 11 hits he gave up came in the first five innings. Godin gave up seven hits. He walked five and struck out five. HARVARD (2)   ab  r  h  po  a  c Dunn, ss  5  1  2  1  1  2 Foynes, lf  4  1  1  2  0  0 Crosby, c  4  0  1  5  0  0 Coulson, lb  5  0  3  8  2  0 Moffle, cf  4  0  3  2  1  0 Neal, rf  4  0  0  1  2  0 Mannino, 3b  2  0  0  2  4  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  3  0  1  3  0  0 Lucas, 2b  0  0  0  0  0  1 Godin, p  3  0  0  0  1  1 *Roche  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  35  2  11  24  11  4

*Batted for Cavanaugh and was safe on an error in eighth.