Eliot Captures House Crew Title; Leverett Cops Second

By E. JOUR Otameal

Eliot's crew won the House championship race yesterday and made varsity Coach Tom Bolles even more jealous than before of its talent.

The polished oarsmanship of Elephant stroke Mike Shally and the men behind him, plus the coaching of James Ducy, assistant dean of admissions, have placed Eliot along side Kirkland in the ranks of serious Straus Trophy contenders. No official time was recorded.

Eliot didn't startle anybody by winning the race; it remained for Leverett to pull the surprise of the afternoon by finishing only three-quarters of a length behind the champions. The Bunny oarsmen are inexperienced, but they're great in stature, strength, and determination.

Tied for third were Adams and the Eliot second crew, which raced for the fun of it and to show the depth of Elephant crew talent. Lowell and Kirkland tied for last.

The macabre incident of the afternoon ocurrer at the half way mark when Leverett's stroke locked oars with the number two Gold Coaster. Both crews lost a stroke.

Softball Playoff

Kirkland and Eliot ended yesterday in a tie for second in the House softball league, Kirkland losing to Lowell, 12 to 3, and Eliot crushing Adams, 5 to 2. Kirkland and Eliot will contend tomorrow for the right to tie Winthrop for the championship.

In tennis Winthrop suffered its first defeat of the season by defaulting to Kirkland but won the House tennis crown anyway on the strength of its 6 and 1 record. In the other match Dunster beat Adams, 3 to 2.

Freshman Games

The Lionel softball team edged Hollis, 7 to 6, to win the National League pennant. Tomorrow Lionel faces Matthews South, American League title-holder, for the freshman championship.

The House baseball championship will be decided this afternoon, when the unbeaten Adams and Lowell teams face each other.