Future ROTC Students Will Have to Enroll in 17 Courses

Faculty Votes That Only Three War Science Classes Will Count Towards Graduation

Seventeen courses will be the required schedule for students in the College's Army and Navy units, starting with next year's freshman class, Dean Bender said yesterday.

Bender announced a new faculty ruling, saying that only three courses in Naval Science, Military Science, and Air Science can be counted toward the 16 courses required for graduation. The decision does not affect anyone now in College.

Fifth Course

Students in the Army and Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps must now take one war science course each year. The faculty vote means that they will have to take a fifth course for two terms in order to graduate.

But the extra course will not cost extra money, since the University does not charge students for war science classes taken as fifth courses. Even now, more than half of Harvard's ROTC students carry a fifth course on their study cards.

The rule was passed because students can now graduate after spending one-fourth of their time in military and naval classes. The faculty did not feel this was desirable.