Annex Has Separate Administration

Back in 1879, 27 young Cambridge ladies met at 6 Appian Way, one September day, opened their books, and the first class of "The Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women" got under way.

Before you could repeat that mouthful of title, the group was nicknamed "The Harvard Annex," and the name has stuck fast for 70 years. During that span, Radcliffe has had three presidents, a dozen-odd deans, and a faculty made up either wholly or mostly of Harvard instructors.

Since 1943, all 'Cliffe instruction has been in the hands of Harvard faculty men under the terms of an agreement signed that year.

Basic Dichotomy

But no matter how closely affiliated in scholastic and extra-curricular matters Harvard and the Annex may be, they have two sharply distinct administrations.

President Wilbur K. Jordan (above), Radcliffe's fourth chief of staff, holds a dual position as Annex head and Harvard professor of history, teaches an advanced history course dealing with the doings of the Tudors and their subjects in England and conducts a seminar in the Stuart period of English history, and sits on a number of Radcliffe and Harvard-Radcliffe committees in the bargain.

Mr. Jordan succeeded Ada Louise Comstock Notestein in 1943.

Trio of Deans

Dean Mildred P. Sherman (above, left) is a veteran in the Radcliffe administration, in which she serves as Dean of the College. The title covers a multitude of duties; Miss Sherman is in charge of the problems, academic and otherwise, of the entire freshman class and keeps and watchful eye on all undergraduate extra-curricular activities, clubs, and Student Government workings. The small concave object at her feet in the picture is her dachshund, Klaus.

Second in the trio of Annex deans is Mrs. Bernice Brown Cronkhite, head of the Radcliffe Graduate School (middle left), who runs the affairs of all the 300, plus advanced students who help swell the Annex' total enrollment to more than 1100 girls each September.

The yoke of all upperclass scholastic problems falls on the shoulders of Dean Wilma A. Kerby-Miller (bottom, left,). Both Deans also sit on the Scholarship and other college committees.