'54 Hockey Team Uses New Lineup To Blank Andover

The freshman hockey team parlayed two lineup changes and some fast skating into a 6 to 0 win over Andover on the prep school's new Sumner Smith outdoor rink Wednesday.

Yardling coach George Roberts fashioned a new first line for this game, putting his best wings, Captain Norm Wood and Jeb Bray, around his top center, Dick Clasby. Roberts also moved forward Fred Horween back to right defense.

New Combination Clicks

The new forward combination accounted for four of the freshman goals, and Horween stickhandled his way to another. Tight defensive play neutralized the Andover attack; Crimson goalie Anderson looked good on the saves he did make, especially during the final period, when the Blue pressed its only concerted offensive.

Clasby sent the Yardlings away to an early lead, taking a pass from Wood, skating over the blue line, and splitting the defense to score at 1:30 of the first period.

Play slowed for the rest of the period, but at almost the same time in the second stanza, 1:35, Wood converted a Bray rebound shot. At 10:30, Wood reciprocated, leaving a drop pass which Bray powered into the net.

Clasby Scores Again

At 4:58 of the last period, rough defenseman Jeff Coolidge combined with Bray to set up Clasby, who again stickhandled his way through the Andover defense, to score. Less than two minutes later, with Andover one man down, Horween grabbed the disk after a faceoff and went all the way for an unassisted goal.

The ubiquitous Bray also helped with the final Crimson goal, at 12:51. From deep in the corner he slid a diagonal pass to Tony Patton at center ice; Patton's hard, low shot went cleanly past the Andover goalie.