Bruening Revisits Native Germany After Long Exile

In his first public appearance in Germany since 1934, Heinrich Bruening, professor of Government and a leading political figure in pre-Hitler days, delivered the first of a series of lectures on "Problems of World Politics Between 1924 and 1934" on Tuesday at Cologne University.

Bruening, who was Reichschancellor of Germany from 1930 to 1934, also issued a statement Tuesday saying that he plans to end his 17-year exile from Germany next year and permanently leave the United States. He will also resign his professorship here after the spring term.

In his Cologne talk, Bruening said that Hitler's disavowal of the Locarno Treaty was the crucial step that brought about the second World War and Germany's eclipse as a world power. "For such misdeeds of the Hitler period," he said, "the German nation today is paying and will continue to pay for some time." Else-where in his speech, Bruening gave high praise to the work of German exchange students at Harvard.

The 65-year-old ex-Chancellor will become a professor at Cologne when he moves to Germany. He said he is not interested in taking an active part in the government again; and refused to comment on his political affiliations.