GE Courses Bigger in Enrollment, Survey Shows; Humanities 4 Tops

General Education courses lead in popularity at the College, figures released by Register Sargent Kennedy revealed yesterday. The three most popular courses, and four of the top six courses are in the field of General Education.

The course with the highest enrollment in Humanities 4, conducted by Howard K. Huge and Philip H. Rhinelander '29, instructors in General Education. A total of 552 students from the College and the Annex have been attracted to this GE course which deals with the "Conflict of Good and Evil in Western Civilization."

Another GE subject, Social Sciences 2, which has always ranked high in popularity, ranks second to Humanities 4. The treatment of seven major periods in Western history by Samuel H. Beer, Associate Professor of Government, has drawn 516 students.

With Humanities 2 in third position, GE has made an almost complete sweep "Epic and Novel," taught by John H. Finley '25, Professor of Greek Literature, has an enrollment of 485 men and women.

Chemistry 1 is fourth, with 440 students. Close behind in fifth rank, with 433 persons is Comp Lit 166, given by Albert J. Guerard. Associate Professor of English. This is rather unusual for an upperclass course.

Social Sciences 1, in position with 411 students, brings GE into the picture again. Seventh is Economics 1, with 405 College and Annex students, while Government in has 385. In the ninth rank is Social Relations 1a, which has drawn 351 students.