'Heil Hitler Mentality' May Menace U.S., Warns Helen Gahagan Douglas

A "Heil Hitler mentality" could endanger the United States today, Helen Gahagan Douglas said last night at a meeting of the Liberal Union.

Mrs. Douglas, Democratic candidate from California for the Senate in 1950, urged that the citizens of this country become more interested and involved in the current domestic and foreign issues.

The danger, she contended, is that the man who thinks a little differently, may feel himself a suspect. She said that "in order to maintain freedom, one must make choices, and in order to make choices, one must listen to all sides."

"The speed of technological changes," she said, "makes it difficult for us to see what kind of a civilization we are building. It is difficult for the poor fellow who works in the factory, who has all he can do to clothe, house, and feed his family, to know where he's going."

Mrs. Douglas cited the issues of today as taxes, high prices, Korea, and "those Reds," in that order. "The appeal will be made," she predicted, "that taxes can be avoided." Mrs. Douglas urged that the appeal be ignored, and that the nation continue with its present foreign policy and armament program.

"Our present role in the world is a responsibility. We must not desert it through the acceptance of a cheap program," she concluded.