Hockey Team Will Get Full Use of Arena

Crimson hockey teams will have full-time practice ice this winter, despite speculation that the Garden-Arena Corporation would cut down on time allotments for college squads. Carroll F. Getchell, business manager of the Harvard Athletic Association, announced yesterday that varsity and freshman hockey teams will use the Garden and Arena for workouts from November 12 until March 8, 1952.

The Garden-Arena Corporation's warning last spring that practice might be seriously reduced aroused the fear that the Crimson, without a rink of its own, would have no practice ice. Garden-Arena solved the problem by cutting the time allotment of schoolboy sixes.

Plans for a College rink, however, have been indefinitely delayed because "a $700,000 drive to construct a rink fizied out after only $1,042,60 had been collected." Getchell added that "The only athletic facility that Harvard needs, and doesn't have, is a good hockey rink."

The drive was started two years ago by former coach John P. Chase '28, who made a $1,000 contribution in the hope that a new rink would be constructed in the near future. It died almost immediately when the Administration refused to give the H.A.A the right to seek contributions.

Actual construction of the rink, which would be covered and made to accommodate large crowds, would have cost $400,000.