Opportunity Knocks but Once

Most students can do nothing about what goes on at the State House, and they usually care less. But the current Communist-control bill pending before the Senate and House is unique on both counts. The bill, which outlaws all organizations that the courts consider subversive and prohibits other people from renting auditoriums to or otherwise aiding subversives, is one that would affect every Massachusetts college community.

Although it is unlikely that the bill would facilitate capture and prosecution of any real subversives it would help the red-baiters in their task of discrediting everyone who does not agree with their "Americanism."

There has been plenty of pressure on the Governor to sign this proposal when it reaches his desk--which will probably be Monday. The only people who have been making any noise about it are the bill's authors and supporters. So far, the liberal element in Massachusetts has inexplicably kept its silence.

The H.L.U. is trying to do something about this; it will circulate a petition in the dining halls during lunch and supper today requesting the Governor to veto the bill. If students ever wanted to make their objections to the State House red bills effective, this is the time to do it. There will be only one day to sign this petition as the H.L.U. must have it in the mail by tonight.