PBH Opens 1,500 Pint Blood Drive; Solicitors Call Today for Donations

Phillips Brooks House is out for blood--1,500 pints of it. Over 200 P.B.H. and Radcliffe Community Service solicitors will start door to door calls today, opening the four-day drive to sign up 2,000 donors.

Blood chairmen are out to break last spring's P.B.H. record blood contribution of 934 pints--largest single civilian contribution in the New England area. One out of every 411 pints given by civilians for Korean use last year came through P.B.H.'s drive which this year is being run in cooperation with Radcliffe, Sargent, Lesley, the Episcopal Theological Seminary, and graduate school organizations.

Actual blood-letting will take place from December 3 to 7 in Memorial Hall, where the Red Cross will have two blood-mobile units on hand to receive donations.

Blood chairmen Thomas H. Petschek '53, Philip D. Levin '53, and Joseph R. Cataldo '53 point out that every casualty requires nine pints of blood, and that demands for blood have increased daily while stockpiles of the precious fluid have dropped sharply.