Jordan Tells Presidents About College Athletics

Testifies in Washington Behind Closed Doors; Takes Stand On Recruiting, Spring Play

Behind closed doors, football coach Lloyd Jordan yesterday testified before a special commission of college presidents named by the American Council on Education to find out what's wrong with collegiate sports.

In a session with Washington reporters after the meeting Jordan said college sports did not necessarily need cleaning up. "There are some corrections needed, of course," he explained. "I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be."

president of the National Football Jordan appeared in Washington as president of the National Football Coaches Association.

Spring practice, he told the press, should be controlled but not abolished.

Student athletes, he said, should take the same courses and maintain the same academic standards.

Speaking for his association he recommended that individual schools decide for themselves about bowl games. Speaking for himself, he opposed post-season hall.

As for recruiting, he said he and his group feel they should be able to sell their institution in the same way any other teacher can.

The coaches, he explained, feel they should be members of the faculty, responsible to the president of a university or college rather than to alumni pressure.

Athletes, Jordan stated, are by and large fine boys. "It's a shame to have the criticisms heaped on these fine boys because of a few."