Check Your Coat?

After more than two weeks of fruitless investigation, Cambridge police have not uncovered a single trace of $1,824 worth of coats and accessories stolen from three House dining halls the night of the Brown game. The police doubt that they will discover the loot, unless by chance the thieves attempt to do some pawning.

None of this would have happened in the first place, however, if the Houses had an adequate system of protecting students' valuables. The Union is the only dining hall in the College that provides such protection. And there is no reason, financial or otherwise, for the Houses not to have checkers on weekends when students are likely to entertain many guests.

This would require only one employee at each of the seven Houses to check coats on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday noon and evening. The attendants could be employees of the University police or the Department of Buildings and Grounds. If this plan were to go in effect, the University would hardly be inconvenienced, and it would be doing its rightful duty to the student--giving protection where he needs it.