Faculty Approves Rules, Ignoring Council Stand

Deans Still Bar Annex Members in Clubs; Watson Hands Out Eight-Page Codification

Completely codified rules for undergraduate organizations went into effect yesterday as the Faculty Committee on Student Activities enacted and distributed an eight-page booklet that ignores all Student Council proposals for easing of certain restrictions.

In particular the final version of the student activity regulations reiterates the Faculty Committee's refusal to lift the barriers to Radcliffe membership in College organizations, although twice within the year the council urged that the Administration make 'Cliffe students eligible.

The eight-page green booklet issued by Associate Dean Watson yesterday to all clubs is the culmination of two years of debate on the exact provisions of the rules. Despite the Faculty's veto of all of the Student Council's objections, council president Richard M. Sandler '52 last night said he supposed that the rules are now in effect, and cannot be changed for a year.

But he did say that the council would study the provisions and might make new recommendations for changes.

Ignore Other Seven

Besides overruling the Radcliffe membership provision, the Faculty Committee also ignored all of seven other council requests for easing of restrictions.

In another by-passing of the council's December counter-proposals, the Faculty refused to modify its requirement that clubs file complete lists of their officers and members with the Dean's Office. The council had asked that lists not be filed without clubs' approval as a protection to "politically unpopular" organizations.

The Faculty's current set of rules, first submitted for council consideration in November, did relax Administration's strings on organizations' finances. But the Faculty retained as a prerequisite for recognition that would-be clubs show "evidence of financial solvency."

Meeting Rules Unchanged

Other council requests turned down by the Faculty Committee included provisions for allowing outdoor meetings in the Yard; holding joint meetings with outside (non-Harvard or Radcliffe) organizations; easing parietal rules in cases of business visits; and allowing for exceptions in the rule prohibiting organizations to appear on commercially sponsored rado and television programs.

The Faculty also refused to strike out a short section on extra requirements for publications that the council asked be omitted.