Varsity Swimmers Triumph, But Big Meet Looms Ahead

The varsity swimmers can stop coasting now. Yesterday's 52 to 23 victory at Springfield was the last of the easy meets for 1951. Navy, Brown, Princeton, and Dartmouth can make the next two weeks unpleasant for Hal Ulen's unbeaten squad.

While the varsity was mastering Springfield's 20-yard pool, the freshmen took care of Andover handily in the Indoor Athletic Building. The Yardlings broke two records and won the meet, 49 to 26.

Springfield turned up a pair of excellent breaststrokes to limit Rene Vielman to third place, as the Gymnasts captured the second first place of the year to fall to a Harvard opponent. Captain Jack Craigie of Army had the other, in the 440-yard freestyle.

Pete Dillingham turned in the top Crimson performance of the day. In his first varsity try at low-board diving, he bested Gymnast Huddleston by 2.17 points.

Steinhart Excels

John Steinhart handled the 200-yard backstroke skillfully, setting a pool record in 2:16.3 in a race that threatened to be very close until John pulled away in the last two laps.

Sophomore Dick Fouquet pulled the biggest upset, beating teammate Doug Kinney for the first time. Fouquet had to strain to stay even until the last 80 yards, where his sprint carried him to a two-yard victory.

Dave Hedberg set a pool record in the 60-yard freestyle with a 28.9 time.

Don Mulvey and Eric Ueland set now Yardling marks in the 100-yard backstroke and the 150-yard individual medley, and Ralph Zani tied the 100-yard breaststroke record.

The summary:

300-yd. medley relay--won by Harvard (Steinhart, Emerson, Huebach). Time--3:00.4.

220-yd. freestyle--won by Berke, 2 Kinney, 3 Sorg (S). Time--2:16.

60-yd. freestyle--won by Hedberg, McNamara (disqualified), 2 Jones (S), 3 Appleby (S). Time--28.9.

Dive--won by Dillingham, 2 Huddleston (S), 3 Yanger. Points--106.13.

100-yd. freestyle--won by Hedberg, 2 Pratt, 3 Palmer (S). Time--52.2.

200-yd. backstroke--won by Steinhart, 2 Arnold (S), 3 Robbins (S). Time--2:16.3.

200-yd. breaststroke--won by Thompson (S), 2 Candido (S), 3 Vielman. Time--2:26.1.

440-yd. freestyle--won by Fouquet, 2 Kinney, 3 Hethrington (S). Time--5:12.

400-yd. freestyle relay--won by Harvard (Hedberg, McNamara, Huebsch, Berke). Time--3:36.6.