Summerall Permits 50 Additions to ROTC Unit

Army Follows Recommendation Of Joint Committee to Admit As Many Cadets as Possible

Colonel Charles P. Summerall, Jr., professor of Military Science and Tactics, yesterday announced that he will let up to 50 more freshmen enter the Reserve Officers Training Corps Monday. This means 100 more men will have been added to the unit in one week.

The openings were created in accordance with a recommendation by an informal committee of Administration and Military Department officials.

No upperclassmen will be able to enter the R.O.T.C. unless higher authorities grant individual dispensations, Summerall said. Army regulations forbid students to take more than one Military Science course in the same year--which would be necessary for an upperclassman to earn a commission by graduation.

In the committee meeting Thursday, Dean Bender, Dean Leighton, and Associate Dean Watson asked Summerall to admit as many freshmen as his department can handle with its limited equipment and personnel.

Summerall allowed 50 freshmen to fill vacancies in the field artillery unit Monday, but over 200 applied for admission. He then made 50 more places available. Applications closed last night.

Immediate expansion of R.O.T.C. facilities here is out, Summerall stated. He said he has no authority to effect a long-range, sizeable increase in his unit as the Student Council asked last week. It is up to the Department of the Army, he explained.