Aid to Yenching Halted; College May Get Funds

Chinese Reds Seize Yenching; Institute's Trustees Will Meet In April to Allocate Surplus

The University's Far Eastern Languages Department may receive considerable funds that the Harvard-Yenching Institute formerly sent to Yenching University in Peking, China.

Trustees of the Institute will meet in April to decide where the money should be allocated.

Mao Tse-tung's Red government announced last week that it was taking over Yenching on the grounds that China must be saved from "American imperialist culture." The Institute stopped contributing to Yenching December 17, but they had decided to halt the flow of money at an open meeting in New York.

The Institute was founded in 1928 to give Yenching, and like institutions financial aid and to contribute to Chinese fellowships. It is directed by a board of trustees which is appointed jointly by the president of the University and the trustees of Yenching.

Exchanges Lag

Originally, the Institute planned to have an exchange of professors between the two universities, but no Harvard faculty members ever went to Yenching. Several teachers from the Chinese institution, such as William Hung, research associate in Far Eastern Languages, have come here.

Donald C. McKay, professor of History, said he saw "no immediate development" in the regional studies program on China and Japan that was begun in 1946. "We've been trying to complete our program," he went on, "though we don't mean that we wouldn't like to develop."

The program needs funds, according to McKay.