Homogeneous Dunster Has Plenty of Rooms, Isolation

If it offers nothing else this year, Dunster House can offer plenty of room; the biggest section of its current membership is the Class of 1951.

As a matter of fact, Dunster offers a good deal more than mere room but the very fact of the Class of '51's exodus is significant. Directly after the war, Dunster became a haven for a conglomeration of writers, politicians, scholars, and engaging extroverts that gave the place a uniquely alive atmosphere.

The membership, combined with Dunster's geographical isolation, produced an independent unit which was model of how the House system at Harvard should work. This year's graduating seniors are the last who were in touch with the post-war set, and the House at present seems to be in the position of feeling out for a new character.

Even with its present membership, on which it's almost impossible to pin a label--such as scholarly, athletic, or clubby--Dunster is still probably the most independent unit of the seven Houses. It innovates, it is chummy, it is cheerful, it is peppy, it is loud. Most of its residents find it more than a dormitory.

The juniors and sophomores who live there now represent the sciences rather heavily, and even many of the non-science concentrators are pre-meds. Since Housemaster Gordon M. Fair is a strong proponent of the "well-rounded" House view of the House system, scholars in the humanities will probably be welcome.

A dearth of representation from the Eastern prep school set would probably make it easy for students from that segment of the College to get into Dunster.

Architecturally, Dunster is probably the most pleasant of the Houses. Most rooms are of adequate size, although some of the doubles--converted from singles--are crowded. Another disadvantage is the view from rooms in the back of Dunster; few students enjoy travelling the extra distance from the Square to Dunster, only to have a view of old frame houses.

Because of the House Committee, one of the central entries has this year become an amusement center of sorts. Its basement boasts two ping-pong tables, a new pool table, a television room, and two drink machines which issue seven varieties of liquid between them. On every night except Saturday, the House Committee runs a sandwich counter.

Separate Kitchen

The kitchen serves up slightly better food than the central kitchen, though considering the fact that it has to supply less students than any other dining hall in the University, the Dunster kitchen is a disappointment. Its fare is not nearly so good as Adams', and its supply lines tend to foul more frequently than those of the dining halls which depend on food being run from the central kitchen. The staff is particularly merciless about the 9 a.m. deadline for breakfast.

House athletics follow the University pattern, they are "representative," largely through the efforts of a small nucleus of athletes who play on all House teams. This situation makes Dunster ideal for amateur athletes who want to participate in organized sport without facing much competition to make a team.

In the past, Dunster has been an innovator in the House system. It started the idea of House forums and musical programs. Because of its traditional independence, it tends to keep those open only to House members, though the Dunces, a singing group, have an intercollegiate audience.GORDON M. FAIR--Dunster