Council Asks Foreign Study Rules Change

Change Would Allow More Men To Learn Abroad; Exchange Scholarship System Planned

The Student Council's International Activities Committee will petition the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for a change in its present rulings on students' going abroad, Carl M. Sapers '53, chairman of the committee, said yesterday. The changes would allow more students to study in foreign universities with credit.

If the Faculty will comply, Sapers plans within a few years to have an exchange scholarship program for College students. Before leaving, the student would give $1,000 to a fund which would be used by the European student coming to the College.

German Students

Next year, the Committee hopes to bring over two students from Germany. The United States High Commission in Germany has assured the Committee that it will pay for the expenses of the students.

Sapers said the Student Council will pay half of the students tuition; the Council has asked the College to pay the other half. Indications are that the College will approve the plan.

In 1949, the Faculty voted that concentrators in the Departments of Romance and Germanic Languages and in Comparative Philology be allowed to spend their junior year in a foreign university. It also voted that the Administrative Board should determine whether a student deserves credit for work abroad.

Broader Base

The Council Committee, however, recommended that heads of departments should decide who is to go abroad. This would permit students from any field to go abroad. The committee also recommended that the student be allowed to take any course that he wants and be tested for credit when he returns.